Artichokes are about to come back in season!
I love artichokes.
Mostly I love them steamed and served with lemon butter (click here for a whole bunch of artichoke-makin’ tips)…but sometimes you need to pile those suckers into things like pasta and chicken dishes, and the more the better. And you don’t have time to wrangle a zillion fresh artichoke hearts out of their fuzzy little cocoons. Or maybe you’re just feeling lazy, and believe (like I do) that if you’re going to go through that ridiculous amount of effort, you’d rather just eat the things straight rather than mucking around with sauces.
And on those days, you know what comes in handy? Frozen artichoke hearts. I keep them stockpiled in the freezer at all times and add them to everything, I love them so.
And the frozen ones totally work here (my advice would be to skip the canned ones; they can get mushy). But within a couple of weeks we should start seeing the markets fill up with gorgeous, fresh specimens, and so if you’re feeling it, I say go ahead: wrangle away. And then invite me over for dinner, please.
(Note: while parsley is usually optional, I’m going to insist you add it to this one - it gives this dish a light, fresh touch that’s really lovely and makes it feel much spring-ier.)
PENNE WITH ARTICHOKES AND SMOKED MOZZARELLA (serves 4; inspired by Chicho’s Kitchen)
What you need:
1 package dried penne (or pasta of choice)
4 slices good-quality bacon, cut into matchsticks
1 medium yellow onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 large (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 package frozen artichokes
1/2 cup diced smoked mozzarella
1 large handful parsley, chopped
Salt & pepper
What you do:
1. Cook penne in a large pot of salted boiling water according to package directions until al dente.
2. Meanwhile, in a heavy-bottomed skillet, fry your bacon matchsticks until the fat has rendered slightly.
3. Add a little more olive oil to the skillet if necessary, and throw in your onion and garlic. Cook until the onions are translucent, then add the artichoke hearts and cook, stirring constantly, another couple of minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes and let simmer about 10 minutes, or until the sauce and artichokes are heated through. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Add the penne to the skillet along with the smoked mozzarella cubes and parsley and toss to combine.
Serve with freshly grated parmigiana.
- startrek1632 likes this
- leeleeo3o reblogged this from ramshackleglam
- leeleeo3o likes this
- missplat1num likes this
- autumnberrybliss likes this
- i-want-a-cow reblogged this from ramshackleglam
- sejla93 likes this
- pepe58 likes this
- jinki-twinki likes this
- iwasbornwithmagic reblogged this from ramshackleglam
- lolrainbowfishes likes this
- radicoolbrycen likes this
- akimski likes this
- obliviatedd likes this
- paigeaycock likes this
- orangeschmorange reblogged this from ramshackleglam
- foodissuperduperyummy reblogged this from ramshackleglam
- stanakaticinmyveins likes this
- ebsa-mi likes this
- avanigill likes this
- pari-withlove likes this
- iluvcopshowsandglee16 likes this
- beauty-is-golden likes this
- tabinashannaesha likes this
- velvetgreentea likes this
- kaelthebassguy likes this
- leiperash likes this
- cobrameo reblogged this from ramshackleglam and added:
- cobrameo likes this
- ohgodtheyarealltaken reblogged this from ramshackleglam
- sassylinguist likes this
- yesi4711 likes this
- ajensen95 likes this
- sophiacan92 reblogged this from ramshackleglam
- sophiacan92 likes this
- chileni25 reblogged this from ramshackleglam
- chileni25 likes this
- champagne-mamixo likes this
- honestlylivingalie reblogged this from ramshackleglam
- mesochinkee likes this
- mabelarlene likes this
- boo1m likes this
- fuggitbish likes this
- forever-the-blame reblogged this from ramshackleglam
- myradiosmyheart likes this
- scarletrose192 likes this
- sunsetsand-carcrashes likes this
- jme719 likes this
- nerdburgerr likes this
- lovelyamazing1016 likes this