Artichokes are about to come back in season!
I love artichokes.
Mostly I love them steamed and served with lemon butter (click here for a whole bunch of artichoke-makin’ tips)…but sometimes you need to pile those suckers into things like pasta and chicken dishes, and the more the better. And you don’t have time to wrangle a zillion fresh artichoke hearts out of their fuzzy little cocoons. Or maybe you’re just feeling lazy, and believe (like I do) that if you’re going to go through that ridiculous amount of effort, you’d rather just eat the things straight rather than mucking around with sauces.
And on those days, you know what comes in handy? Frozen artichoke hearts. I keep them stockpiled in the freezer at all times and add them to everything, I love them so.
And the frozen ones totally work here (my advice would be to skip the canned ones; they can get mushy). But within a couple of weeks we should start seeing the markets fill up with gorgeous, fresh specimens, and so if you’re feeling it, I say go ahead: wrangle away. And then invite me over for dinner, please.
(Note: while parsley is usually optional, I’m going to insist you add it to this one - it gives this dish a light, fresh touch that’s really lovely and makes it feel much spring-ier.)
PENNE WITH ARTICHOKES AND SMOKED MOZZARELLA (serves 4; inspired by Chicho’s Kitchen)
What you need:
1 package dried penne (or pasta of choice)
4 slices good-quality bacon, cut into matchsticks
1 medium yellow onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 large (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 package frozen artichokes
1/2 cup diced smoked mozzarella
1 large handful parsley, chopped
Salt & pepper
What you do:
1. Cook penne in a large pot of salted boiling water according to package directions until al dente.
2. Meanwhile, in a heavy-bottomed skillet, fry your bacon matchsticks until the fat has rendered slightly.
3. Add a little more olive oil to the skillet if necessary, and throw in your onion and garlic. Cook until the onions are translucent, then add the artichoke hearts and cook, stirring constantly, another couple of minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes and let simmer about 10 minutes, or until the sauce and artichokes are heated through. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Add the penne to the skillet along with the smoked mozzarella cubes and parsley and toss to combine.
Serve with freshly grated parmigiana.
- sweettea-mariboo reblogged this from ramshackleglam
- alljuststardust likes this
- mesochinkee likes this
- willloveeverfinditspathover likes this
- boo1m likes this
- evelynfuckingmoroyoqui likes this
- forever-the-blame reblogged this from ramshackleglam
- myradiosmyheart likes this
- scarletrose192 likes this
- just-another-paper-girl likes this
- jme719 likes this
- nerdburgerr likes this
- lovelyamazing1016 likes this
- colourblindghosts likes this
- randomgingerwithasoul likes this
- pinkrhapsody likes this
- zachthemoose reblogged this from ramshackleglam
- zachthemoose likes this
- karieal likes this
- elizabethlovesjoseolivo likes this
- samimorris reblogged this from ramshackleglam and added:
- loatzu reblogged this from ramshackleglam
- trinibabygirll reblogged this from ramshackleglam
- scatter-drugs likes this
- cyndaquilshoshi likes this
- shijoooooooooooou likes this
- emelishu likes this
- alextopalis1 likes this
- sammikuern likes this
- ckotkiewicz likes this
- omniachris likes this
- omniachris reblogged this from ramshackleglam and added:
- recklessconfusion likes this
- strawberryjohng likes this
- ixeatxcowboys likes this
- ilovetomhiddleston55 likes this
- wecanliveorexist likes this
- theoneinthebush likes this
- whiiterabbitt likes this
- dulcecarambula likes this
- partay2013 reblogged this from ramshackleglam
- cacunosilence likes this
- georgeegeo likes this
- thetoastofturtles likes this
- ditzygypsy likes this
- rainingmoondrops likes this
- heartlesspop88 likes this
- bevilove likes this
- learntolive-andletgo likes this
- koriobrien likes this